Dreaming of Moshiach

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Power of a Smile

Sam lived in Bet Kerem, Yerushalayim, lonely and childless. He lost his entire family in the holocaust and never bothered to remarry. He used to be a happy-go-lucky person but in old age, having no companions, he felt very neglected. Till he met Moshe, a Yeshiva Bachur.

Moshe would come to visit him 3 times a week; clean the house, do shopping, talk with him and rapidly, brought him back to life.

Sam had plenty of money and wanted to pay Moshe for his "services" but Moshe refused. He claimed that he is enjoying himself and loves coming to visit. But Sam didn't let up. After a while, Moshe wanted to end Sam's urge to pay him. He told him, after 120 years, your payment will be to tell me your heavenly judgment and what's going on "upstairs". Moshe really didn't mean anything, he just wanted Sam to stop talking about payments. But Sam excitedly grabbed Moshe's arm and shook a "gentleman's agreement".

After some time, Sam became ill and weakend. He passed away Av 3, 5763. Moshe mourned his friend's passing and was pained that his friend was gone. A few days later, ben-hazmanim (Yeshiva vacation) began and Moshe went home. On Av 10 during the afternoon, Moshe fell asleep and had a dream.

In the dream, he is in a gigantic hall and Sam is calling him. "What did you do to me, Moshe? Why didn't you accept payment from me? I could have paid you, and now I am forced to come to you because we shook hands and I must tell you what happened in my Judgement.

Know this, Moshe, everything I heard as a young man (he used to live in Alexander, Poland), about Judgement after death is nothing in comparison to what it really is. The Angels of Destruction pull the Neshama (soul) from the grave and roll it to Kaf Hakela, it is true. This is what happened to me till they brought me to Judgment, and my situation was not good.

All the pain and suffering I endured was not enough to ease my Judgment. I was almost convicted and sent to hell but then came the Advocating Angel and advocated on my behalf. He said, "I made people smile and therefore, כל המקיים נפש אחת מישראל - כאילו קיים עולם מלא!! One who saves one person of Israel, is considered as if he has sustained an entire world!! This Jew revived souls because he caused them to smile".

This argument was accepted and in this merit, I was exempt from punishment.

Moshe, to begin with, I wasn't allowed to tell you but because I shook your hand, I was obligated to tell you before entering Gan Eden..."

translated from http://hydepark.hevre.co.il/topic.asp?topic_id=2047886

Labels:

| 0 comments

0 Comments:


והיה השם למלך על כל הארץ, ביום ההוא יהיה השם אחד - ושמו אחד ישתבח שמו לעד לנצח נצחים בכל העולמות Blessed is His name for eternity in all worlds אין עוד מלבדו