Dreaming of Moshiach

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Strength of Emunah

For many years, we wanted a baby but HaShem had different plans. [+/-] show/hide text
We spoke of adoption but we are a young healthy couple and want to tie the foundation of our marriage with our own child, if possible. We finally agreed to go to a professional doctor to inquire about in-vitro. We were explained the procedure and were told the price is $14,000 without any guarantees. My wife hurriedly agreed even though we don't have this amount of money. I followed her excitement and we agreed to return in 3 months to start the in-vitro procedure.

Where are we going to get the money? My wife immediately looked for a job and we asked our parents to help out, and borrowed the rest from friends.

One day, a friend tells me that a Rav from Israel arrived and would like to give a shiur. Without hesitating, I offered that the Rav give the shiur in my home. We have a big living room and my wife goes to many classes, b'h. She would appreciate a Rav giving a lecture in our humble home.

Many people arrived for the lecture and my wife was as excited as I was. The Rav's lecture was very interesting and towards the end of the lecture, the Rav said a story about a previous barren couple living in Israel. They were told that writing a Sefer Torah is a segula for having a child and they collected a huge chunk of the total amount and hired a Sofer to write the Sefer Torah. They are now, b'h, hugging a beautiful healthy baby boy.

He explained that he came to NY to help collect donations because there is still an outstanding balance of $14,000 for the Sefer Torah.

I kept quite. After everyone thanked us for an uplifting evening of Chizzuk, I asked my wife if we should donate the $14,000 for the Sefer Torah instead of paying a doctor. My reasoning was that HaShem is the Doctors of all Doctors and no physical doctor can change decrees! But my wife didn't want to donate the money. Her reasoning was that she is working very hard for the money and we had to borrow from friends and we told them it's for in-vitro, etc. I listened to my wife's reasoning and verbally, agreed with her.

A week before our BIG appointment, my wife quit her job. She felt very tired all the time and couldn't eat. I urged her to see a doctor and she promised she will, before our in-vitro appointment. The following day, she called me at work and asked that I come home right away. Without questions, I caught a taxi and paid him double to get me home, quickly! I get home and see my wife, calmly sitting on the sofa and smiling from ear to ear.

"What's going on, honey? I rushed here. I thought something happened. Are you okay?". She continued smiling and asked me to sit next to her.

'Boy, she's full of mysteries', I thought to myself. I quietly sat down and she told me that she went to Dr. Baum as promised and after running a few tests, told her NOTHING is wrong with her. She's perfectly healthy and 2 weeks pregnant.

"Baruch HaShem", I yelled and jumped and took my wife and danced with her. "Baruch HaShem - I love you HaShem - thank You, HKB'H...".

It was time for me to confess. "Honey, you remember the Rav and the $14,000 donation for the Sefer Torah as a segula to have a baby? I didn't tell you because I understood your fears. A week after the lecture I donated the entire amount, exactly $14,000 that we saved for the in-vitro, and donated it to the Rav for the Sefer Torah!".

Labels:

| 0 comments

0 Comments:


והיה השם למלך על כל הארץ, ביום ההוא יהיה השם אחד - ושמו אחד ישתבח שמו לעד לנצח נצחים בכל העולמות Blessed is His name for eternity in all worlds אין עוד מלבדו