Dreaming of Moshiach

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Saving Lives thru Prayers

Although it was a relatively warm evening, a quick glance at the showcase windows of the mall’s shops indicated that it was nearly Chanuka. Suddenly, a bomb exploded. Moments later more than a hundred casualties, eleven of whom had lost their lives, lay stretched out on the mall.
One of the casualties was Sharon C., a typical Israeli who had hoped to enjoy himself that night. Chanuka meant no more to him than dreidels and potato pancakes.

During terrorist attacks, medical teams class victims according to the severity of their wounds. Those on the brink of death are treated last, while those most likely to pull through are treated first.

By all standards, Sharon, whose body had been pierced by hundreds of screws, should have been last on the medical squad's priority list. Nonetheless, one of the medics dragged him onto a stretcher, and placed him in an ambulance.

“What’s your name?” a nurse asked once he reached the emergency ward.
“Help! Help!” was all he could say.
“What’s your ID number?”
“Please help me, I don’t want to die,” he continued to plead.

“As I lay on the pavement, bathed in blood” he later wrote in a pamphlet describing his return to his roots, “I was certain that those were my last moments on earth, and I was overcome by dreadful shame and sorrow, which apparently dulled my physical pains. ‘What will I say when I stand before the Heavenly Court?’ I reflected. ‘Where have I been until now? How can I face God, when I have been so wayward?’

“Now I realize that God had thrust me into such a situation in order to prompt me to return to Him.”

“I am certain that if not for those pangs of regret, I would have remained stretched out on the mall, until someone came and covered me with a white sheet.”

In the emergency ward, the nurse gently said, “Don’t worry, Sharon, you’ll be okay.”

Then a more authoritative voice determined: “To the operating room immediately.”

After the operation, a relative brought Sharon C. a pair of tefillin (phylacteries). Sharon describes those moments:

“Although I ached all over, I felt better the moment I saw the tefillin. That was the first time in my life someone had suggested that I lay tefillin.”

The doctors, though, weren’t able to remove all of the nails. As for those which have remained lodged in his head, Sharon whimsically says: “At least I won't lose my mind now, and no one will ever say that I’m missing a screw!”

Sharon’s family lives in Hertzelia, and he rarely spent weekends in Jerusalem. However, that week, he had bought a car in Jerusalem, and decided to stay there for Shabbos in order to arrange his insurance. When Shabbos was over, a number of friends asked him for hitches. Among them was Sharon Maman, who had made up to meet him late that night on the mall.

Shortly after his release, Sharon began to listen to Torah tapes. Two months later, he applied for admission to the Binyan Tzion yeshiva, where he made rapid strides in his studies. One day, his teacher explained a difficult Rashba (Talmudic commentary). In an effort to understand it, Sharon’s mind began to churn. But he still didn’t grasp some points. Then he tried harder and harder, focusing all of his thoughts on that Rashba., until it became absolutely clear.

Suddenly, he noticed that infected discharge was oozing from his head. Immediately, he went to the emergency ward of a nearby hospital, where the doctors determined that a screw which had been situated in his head, had surfaced. Shortly afterward, they removed the screw by means of a very simple operation.

Sharon saved that screw, and fondly refers to it as “Rashba’s screw.”
His comeback was initiated by intense thought, and reached a peak as a result of intense thought too.

In an interview with him I asked what other messages the pamphlet conveys. “One of the other points it discusses is the power of prayer,” he replied. “When an attack occurs, people want to know all the details. Who was killed? How many were injured? But at those terrifying moments, the victims aren’t concerned about reports in the media. They want people to pray for them!
“I was saved by prayers.”

http://www.hidabroot.org/en/Site/ARDetile.asp?id=8137&Catogory=2&SubID=6745

Please including in your prayers Refua Shlema to Moshe Chaim Ben Ilana. On Friday, a water tank containing 25 gallons of boiled water fell on him. The boy is 14 years old boy and is suffering excruciating pain.

Labels:

| 0 comments

0 Comments:


והיה השם למלך על כל הארץ, ביום ההוא יהיה השם אחד - ושמו אחד ישתבח שמו לעד לנצח נצחים בכל העולמות Blessed is His name for eternity in all worlds אין עוד מלבדו